Thursday, August 15, 2013

Manners (and what I bought at Home Depot)

I am working to teach my kids good manners.

I really am.

But in the mean time.... must they comment on how funny a man's hair looks while he's standing right there? He had dreads, for the record. That happened a week ago at Target. I was embarrassed.

Today we went to Home Depot to buy some new pots and plants. Yay! I love Home Depot. I hated it when I was a kid, but today I could spend hours walking around that store and dreaming.

I digress.

I decided our patio needed some color. So off we went, with the promise that the kids could help pick out the pots and plants if they behaved. They did. Sort of.

"You're bigger than my dad!!" (that was Daniel, commenting on the size of the gentleman standing behind us in line.)

"Why can't I look through the crack in the door?" (Natalie. I had just told her to stop that when I noticed she was trying to peer into a stall in the bathroom. It was occupied.)

"Look! He's an employee! How does that apron stay on?" (Daniel again. Okay, this one isn't so bad, but it's another example of talking - no shouting - about someone while they're standing right there.)

By the time we left the store, I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide. I'm sure my face was red. I felt hot and frazzled and really just wanted to get outside with my nosy, un-self-aware preschoolers. They aren't bad kids, but, man, do they know how to embarrass me sometimes.

Here's what we ended up getting, by the way. Natalie chose these pink flowers. I threw the card away before I could get their name through. Bummer. I chose those yellow Chrysanthemums in the back. They remind me of fall, and I could use a bit of fall in this 90 degree heat we're having. 

I've had the aloe plant for awhile now, and he seems pretty happy in the back yard. Daniel chose those little red flowers, since red is his favorite color (along with orange). I threw the card away before I got the name of those, too. Sigh.

The whole family, all together. :) I've got a couple extra teeny tiny pots for something...not sure what yet. They're pretty small. That big plant on the far right is a tough one. I've tried killing it several times because it was in the way. I know, terrible, especially because it makes awesome, deep purple flowers. I just transplanted it to this giant pot the other day to give it a permanent home. Now I hope that I haven't killed it. I think he'll make it. He's a fighter.

Another view, with our bird bath in the back there.

*          *          *

If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing by email to receive updates on new posts!

You can also follow my blog through Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Bloglovin, or Google+.

For a list of all the parties that I link up with each week, please visit my Linking Up page!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love and appreciate reading your comments!