Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Time for a Reality Check

The other day I read this book to my kids.


I started thinking.  Isn't that how God works?  He doesn't necessarily use the biggest, or the best, or the most natural choice to get something done.  He often uses the one that would have been forgotten by everyone else.  

I started this blog with the idea that I'd be able to pass on my pearls of wisdom to an audience just hungry for fresh ideas.  But my last couple of weeks in blog world have taught me that 1) Most ideas have already been written about at least once, 2) I am incredibly little, and 3) I feel even smaller in the shadow of some of the giants -- the really big deal blogs.  

And I don't think I'm alone.  It's easy to eat up countless pictures of perfection -- living rooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, all organized and running smoothly.  All the time.  And these learning activities.  They're really great, but...does anyone watch TV anymore?  Is it bad that I let my kids watch an episode of Dinosaur Train when I take my shower every morning?

So, here's the deal.  I'm still going to send stuff your way.  Good stuff, I think.  It's not that I've been lying about our explorations or the art projects, or any of it.  All of that is happening.  But it's happening in the middle of some very organized (or sometimes disorganized) chaos.  For real.  I don't want to leave out the "real" part in "Our (real) life at home." 

So!  In that spirit, I give you my house this morning.  Nothing was staged, folks.  Here we go.

Ah, the living room.  Chairs askew.  Baby toys strewn about.  


But overall, not bad.


Let's take a peek at the kitchen.

Look at that!  Folded laundry on the counter -- I'm getting stuff done!


Nope, wait.  That was yesterday's.  And it's still there as I type.  And there're at least three more loads waiting to be washed.  Ahhhh....


Here's our school room.  The school room is a fabulous idea, really.  But man, what a headache.  This is how it looks 90% of the time.  


 Yikes.

Moving on to the dining room,


and we find milk puddles from breakfast.  Whoops.  

The hall bath wasn't so bad.  There's the evidence that Silas was there, of course:


Oh, and a bag of Cheerios.  Moms of boys will know what those are for ;)

The kids' bedrooms.  No surprises here:


(Wow, it's like an explosion)


Aaaand, scene.

So, we're messy.  Sometimes really messy.  And we don't have a phenomenal activity planned for every day of the week.  Sometimes we just go outside and play in the sprinkler.  And the thing is, that's okay.  The internet has distorted our perception of reallity.  But I'm telling you (and I think other bloggers would agree), what you saw here today is normal.

All right now.  My cat's out of the bag.  Now I'd better go do some laundry.

If you found this post helpful, please consider following my blog or liking me on Facebook for updates on new posts!  





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love and appreciate reading your comments!